Our Network Engineer establishes and maintains network performance by building configurations and connections all while troubleshooting problems. Analytical skills, media and financial knowledge, negotiating ability, obsessed with order and organization, “people” person, diplomacy, tact, common sense, loyalty, Computer skills.
Network Engineer Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintaining, administering, and patching computer networks and related computing environments including systems software, applications software, hardware, and associated configurations.
- Performing major upgrades to technology platforms, and system migrations.
- Monitoring data backups, resolving issues, and performing disaster recovery operations when required.
- Protecting data, software, and hardware by coordinating, planning and implementing network security measures.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and resolving hardware, software, and other network and system problems.
- Replacing faulty network hardware components when required.
- Maintaining, configuring, and monitoring virus protection software and email applications.
- Monitoring network capacity and performance to determine if adjustments need to be made.
- Operating master consoles to monitor the performance of networks and computer systems.
- Coordinating computer network access and verifying and troubleshooting permissions.
- Installing, configuring and testing networking software, computer hardware, and operating system software.
- Conferring with network users about solving existing system problems.
Network Engineer Requirements:
- Strong understanding of network infrastructure, network hardware, and systems software.
- Ability to work with multiple vendors to implement, administer, and troubleshoot network infrastructure devices, including wireless access points, firewalls, routers, switches, controllers.
- Knowledge of application transport and network infrastructure protocols.
- Ability to create accurate network diagrams, and detailed documentation of client configurations and procedures for knowledgebase system.
- Provides specific detailed information for hardware and software selection.
- Ability to quickly learn new or unfamiliar technology and products using documentation and internet resources.
- LAN and WAN experience with complex structures, subnets, VLANS, ACL, and security.
- Ability to think through problems and visualize solutions.
- Ability to work with all levels of staff within and outside of IT and outside the organization.
- A self-starter able to work independently but comfortable working in a team environment.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- MUST have very strong hands-on knowledge and at least 5 years’ experience in networking: demonstrate knowledge of Layer 3 Switching, TCP/IP, IP routing (BGP/OSPF, ISIS), of networking standards (ANSI, IETF, ISO, ITU-T, IEEE, NIST,), understanding of peering, MPLS, Metro-Ethernet.
- Must had a solid, hands-on foundation on the full Windows Enterprise Suite especially in Azure Cloud Computing and Security. Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform is a definite plus.
- Proven track record of project managing/plan/design/config/implementation of regional/metro networks.
- Solid experience in troubleshooting issues, including relationship with carriers/vendors/internal customers.
- Practical knowledge of hardware/software network security platforms and VPN’s.
- Data storage solutions with SAN, NAS, or Clustered (e.g. Isilon, QNAP, HPMSA, Nimble, vSAN)
- Local and Networked File Systems (e.g. SMB, SMBv3, NFS, CIFS)
- Hands-on experience with routing/switching infrastructures, transport technology, network protocols.
- Nice to have knowledge of Centralized IPT/WVoIP/Mobile data.
- Server and client backup technologies, and image management
- Virtual hosting technologies (e.g. VMWare, KVM)
- Multiple scripting languages in your toolbox (e.g. Python, GO, PERL, or Swift)
- Customer Service; ability to work in a multicultural corporation and flexible with global time zone.
- Team player, problem solving & owning to the end attitude.
- Strong ability to communicate technical subjects/ network requirements to non-technical audiences.
- Capable of independent decision making based on broad managerial direction.
- Capable of writing & presenting documents/presentations (English) to help make decisions.
- Ability to be “on call” during week days and weekends.
- Must have reliable transportation as you will be visiting client sites in the Los Angeles area on a regular basis.
To be a successful candidate, you will need to have a strong understanding of network infrastructure and network hardware. You will also need to be able to implement, administer, and troubleshoot network devices including firewalls, routers, switches, Wireless Access Points and controllers. A deep knowledge of Windows Servers including Active Directory, Group Policies, DHCP, and DNS is required. Experience with cloud-based applications including Office 365, hosted phone systems, and Azure is highly desired. The ability to use scripting languages such as PowerShell to automate tasks is a plus.