Advanced Systems Engineer
An Advanced Systems Engineer is responsible for administering our clients’ computer networks. The primary duties include installation, upgrades, and troubleshooting of server hardware, storage area networks, network attached storage, and other related systems. This includes both physical and virtual server upgrades, installation and configuration of systems software, network security, monitoring backups, performing disaster recovery operations, and replacing faulty network hardware components when necessary. You will be an escalation point for other service engineers and may also be working closely with the end users in order to identify potential issues and fix existing problems. Work is a combination of remote support at our corporate office and on-site client visits in the Los Angeles area.
Advanced Systems Engineer Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintaining, administering and patching computer networks and related computing environments including systems software, applications software, hardware, and associated configurations.
- Performing major upgrades to technology platforms, application software, and system migrations.
- Monitoring data backups, resolving issues, and performing disaster recovery operations when required.
- Protecting data, software, and hardware by coordinating, planning and implementing network security measures.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and resolving hardware, software, and other network and system problems.
- Replacing faulty network hardware components when required.
- Maintaining, configuring, and monitoring virus protection software and email applications.
- Monitoring network capacity and performance to determine if adjustments need to be made.
- Operating master consoles to monitor the performance of networks and computer systems.
- Coordinating computer network access and verifying and troubleshooting permissions.
- Installing, configuring and testing networking software, computer hardware, and operating system software.
- Conferring with network users about solving existing system problems.
Advanced Systems Engineer Requirements:
- Strong understanding of network infrastructure, network hardware, and systems software.
- Ability to implement, administer, and troubleshoot network infrastructure devices, including wireless access points, firewall, routers, switches, controllers.
- Knowledge of application transport and network infrastructure protocols.
- Ability to create accurate network diagrams, and detailed documentation of client configurations and procedures for knowledgebase system.
- Provides specific detailed information for hardware and software selection.
- Ability to quickly learn new or unfamiliar technology and products using documentation and internet resources.
- Network security experience.
- LAN and WAN experience with complex subnets.
- Must had a solid, hands-on foundation on the full Windows Enterprise Suite especially in Azure Cloud Computing and Security. Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform is a definite plus.
- Ability to work with all levels of staff within and outside of IT and outside the organization.
- Ability to work independently on a project, but also comfortable working in a team environment.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Dependable and flexible when necessary.
- Customer Service; ability to work in a multicultural corporation and flexible with global time zone.
- Team player, problem solving & owning to the end attitude.
- Strong ability to communicate technical subjects/ network requirements to non-technical audiences.
- Capable of independent decision making based on broad managerial direction.
- Capable of writing & presenting documents/presentations (English) to help make decisions.
- Ability to be “on call” during week days and weekends.
- Must have reliable transportation as you will be visiting client sites in the Los Angeles area on a regular basis.
To be a successful candidate, you will need to have a strong understanding of network infrastructure and network hardware. You will also need to be able to implement, administer, and troubleshoot network devices including firewalls, routers, switches, Wireless Access Points and controllers. A deep knowledge of Windows Servers including Active Directory, Group Policies, DHCP, and DNS is required. Experience with cloud-based applications including Office 365, hosted phone systems, and Azure is highly desired. The ability to use scripting languages such as PowerShell to automate tasks is a plus.